Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Grim Reaper and The Mad Hatter

Finally. FINALLY, we were able to make it to Disneyland!

This has been a trip years in the making, and with a little careful budgeting of our tax refund, I was able to make it work this year.

I may blog about this trip for the next month, who knows. I want to remember every nuance and savor it. (like those Godiva truffles my son used to bring me...)

The plan was to work on Monday, and take Tuesday and Wednesday off. With Thursday and Friday being county-wide school holidays for the county fair, we wouldn't miss too much work or school.

Well, Monday at work, I got pulled out of class to meet with the personnel director from the county office of education. She came to notify me I was being laid off. Dang! Due to lower enrollment there isn't a position for me next year. Normally that kind of news would've ruined my day...but not on a day when I was soon leaving for Disneyland!

The personnel director continued to pull aides aside, (I thought it would've been more appropriate had she been dressed in a black cloak and carrying a sickle myself), and most were given news of hours cut or that they could be bumped from their postiton. Not the best day for any of us.

Comparing notes at our staff meeting at the end of the day, I told my co-workers my bad news followed by, "but I'm going to Disneyland!!!"

I decided not to think about the lay off until my return to the real world. (Which is now.)

At any rate, here is a picture of the first person we met as we entered the Happiest Place on Earth on Wednesday.


It just got better from here on out.

3 comments:

LisAway said...

Oh no! I'm sorry about your bad news, but so glad it didn't ruin your fun! Happy you got to go to that place that I love so much.

Arya said...

I'm sorry to hear about your job. But I am glad you got to go Disneyland and meet one of my favorite characters "The Mad Hatter"

((HUGS))

Ally said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry about the layoff. :-( Boo, hiss! You're so good to just be happy about going to Disneyland amidst all that - I would have called it all off and cried my wee little eyes out!