Tuesday, June 3, 2014

My College Retrospective

 

 Stick A Fork in Me...

 
Fork 

 I'm Done!!!

~a college retrospective~
 
 It's unbelievable that this college journey has come to an end and I've reached my goal
  
 
It all started on this beach in the summer of 2011...
 
White Pines Lake
 
when I took time to reflect on my life and made decisions to make it better.
 
I was in my mid-forties and troubled by this thought:
 
 
 
And I was tired of working two jobs and still getting nowhere, so I thought, what the heck:
 
 
Going back to college was also inspired by the following two thoughts:
 
 
It's never too late to be who you might have been. - George Eliot
 
I had a lot of trepidation about going back to school when I was pushing 50, and was afraid of being the oldster in class
 
memes laptop required for class brings typewriter
 
and seriously wondered if my brain could keep up
 
 
or if I even still had one
 
 
 
and then I had all that driving to think about...and it was a lot!
 
Woman driving yellow car
 
112 round trips to American River College in Sacramento
128 round trips to Columbia College in Sonora
 
for a GRAND TOTAL of (drum roll please)...
 
 26,530 miles!!!
 
I could've driven to New York City and back almost 5 times!
 
From: Sacramento, CA To: New York, NY
  
(or, according to my son, I could've driven the circumference of the Earth and then some!)

 
And boy, was my car getting tired of driving!
 
Tired car
 
(I think I actually heard it murmur, "Kill me now...")
 
 
I have to give credit to the following for keeping me alert during all that driving:
 
Crunchy Snacks
 

Armstrong and Getty Podcasts:
 
CAFFEINE PILLS! WOOO!!!
 
 CVS Caffeine Tablets
 
and looking for interesting number sequences on my odometer 

 
Looking for interesting sights also kept me entertained.
 Like the Liberty Road Chicken Tree:
 
 
the giant flag in Jackson: 

 
this truck-drivin' Santa:
 
 
this sweetHEART of a cow:
 
 
and the Giant Eyeball at the Natomas Center:
 
But my biggest challenge was keeping my tank full:
 

 
The classwork and homework were often challenging, and I spent hours on the computer or with my nose in a book,
 
 
and I felt bad for neglecting everyone to focus on school 
 
 
Sometimes I felt like I was being plotted against: 
 
 
...or the instructions I was getting made no sense at all!
 
 
And finals were intense!
 
 
Yes, these last three years have taken a toll:
 
 
 
There are many times I felt overwhelmed,
 
 
Overtired,

 
and thoroughly tested!
 
 
But somehow I muddled through with no permanent damage:
 
 
and I just kept chanting my mantra:

 
Could I really, finally be free?

 
And, just for the record, this is what it feels like when all that hard work adds up to a 4.0 GPA:

 
but I never could have done it at all without the support and encouragement of my family (and co-workers and friends)!

 
"Thank You" seems so inadequate, but that's all I've got,

 
I'm so happy to be done!

 
 

6 comments:

Camburu said...

I'm so very proud of you, mom. I can't believe you got 2 degrees before I was able to get one!

Also, you could have driven completely around the world and then some, providing you found some way to drive across oceans.

RobynC said...

I love this! Congrats to you and many happy new adventures!!

Mama Cass said...

Aw! Mama L! You did it! I am so proud and so happy I got to share this triumphant moment with you. You are true definition of wonder woman! Oh and yay for having time to blog!!

Binks said...

You are amazing! This is by far one of the most fun things I have read in a long time - and true!
Thank you! Sheila

Binks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Momza said...

:::APPLAUSE::: So happy for you!! And Inspired by you!! Enjoy the summer!