Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pigs In Love

If you are interested in owning a guinea pig, please check out these sites FIRST and read up on their care http://www.cavyspirit.com/ and http://www.guinealynx.info/ .

Well, because I didn't have enough going on what with moving, working two jobs, taking care of my kids, going to visit Kathy in San Francisco, etc. I decided we needed to adopt another guinea pig in the middle of it all.

I've been looking for a companion for Moe, our guinea pig, since I read up on them and found out that they are used to living in herds and are happier having a friend. Far be it from me to deprive my pet of happiness, so I started trying to find another pig.

Well, a lady at church said they had a guinea pig that she wanted to find a home for because her daughter didn't pay any attention to it anymore. She said they moved it out into the barn so at least it could be around the rabbits (that they raise for 4H) for company. That did it for me, because when I was reading about guineas it also said they shouldn't be kept in cold, drafty places, and I couldn't stand the thought of this poor pig out in a barn.

So we had the Great Guinea Pig Rescue on the Sunday after the big move.

When we went to go get this little piggy, we found her in an open barn in a metal rabbit cage (my reading told me GP's also shouldn't be kept in that kind of cage, because unlike rabbits, it will deform their feet). She was just a sweetheart from the moment she was handed over to us.

Needless to say, Moe was very happy to have a companion and the newly re-named Guinea Girl Gidget was happy to have a warm cage and lots of fresh veggies. We also soon found out what the guinea pig mating call sounds like! (Kind of like a load purr).

I didn't want to get a female, because it's not my intention to have guinea babies, let alone contribute to the pet population when there are so many that need homes already, but the former owners said that this guinea pig had babies a few years ago and then they tried to breed her a couple other times and nothing happened. Here's hoping we have an infertile pig. (Especially since I priced guinea pig neutering and it runs around $200!)

We sure love little Gidget. She loves to be held, and since her arrival, a formerly shy and hard to catch Moe has gotten very social as well (he'd rather be held and be with his girl than to be left in the cage by himself).

Last Sunday the girls held a wedding for Moe and Gidget, complete with formal attire


and Nat's hamster Otis officiating.

The happy couple then enjoyed a lovely wedding banquet.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Those are so-ooo CUTE! ♥ Hugs!

Rose said...

How cute! I remember when my sister and I used to have wedding ceremonies for our Barbie and Ken dolls! (with the Captain and Tennille, There is Love playing in the background!) LOL Thanks for the flashback! :-)

LisAway said...

What a cute pet rescue story!!

And I love the happy ending. Super cute.